Saturday, May 11, 2013

On Mother's Day...

As Mother's Day has approached and I have thought of how blessed I am to be Calli's mom, I have been thinking a lot about her birth mother (and father). So many times I wish that I could talk to her. If I could, I would want her to know this:

To Calli's first mom,
Words could never express how thankful I am for you. I cannot imagine the enormity of the decision you made to take Calli where she could be cared for and how difficult that was for you. I have two other biological children, and the bond that I had with them from the minute they were born is something so strong and incredible. You were with her for almost two months, trying your best to care for and love her and you did an amazing job. Your decision to take her to that hospital was the most loving and sacrificing thing I could ever imagine.
I want you to know how much we love her. How she has become so much a part of our family and we have become so attached to her. She has two big sisters now that are over the moon about her and dote on her all day long. We have been making lots of big decisions for her lately and we are really trying to do our best to give her the best care we can. Soon the way she looks will change, and we are a little sad about that. The face she has now is the one we fell in love with 7 months ago and we will miss the sweet little mouth she has now. We're confident that the smile that lights up her whole face now will be the same smile she will have after her surgery and that her contagious laughter won't change.
You need to know how brave our girl is. From the minute we first met her, we saw how she was being brave. She has flown all the way around the world, has left everyone she ever knew, and has let us love her the way we have wanted to for so long. She is happy to try any food we give her, she plays so well with all of us, and she sleeps soundly all night long. She's so brave and we're so proud of her.
I also want you to know that I pray for you a lot. I pray that you have peace and that you will find the love of our Savior who created you, Calli, and who allowed her to be placed in our arms. I thank God for the brave decision you made for her, even placing her somewhere where she would be cared for quickly. No doubt she got her bravery from you.
Happy Mother's Day! I will always share this day with you and honor you when we celebrate. Calli will always know how much you loved her and how thankful we are for you.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Love, love, love. What a brave woman her first mother is.

    ReplyDelete